This Easter you might be going to someone’s house or having your home full of guests. Either way, making a house a home is something I love to do.
Here is a delicious recipe you might consider making this holiday weekend.
Bacon and Tomato Khachapuri (Egg and Cheese Bread)
Stuff bread with cheese and crispy bacon, then put an egg on it, for this tasty crowd-pleasing breakfast or brunch recipe. Brighten things up with a fresh tomato-shallot topping.
MAKES: 4 SERVINGS
MAKES: 4 BREAD BOATS
PREP: 15 MINS
RISE: 1 HR 30 MINS
BAKE: 20 MINS TO 25 MINS 375°F
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded firm goat cheese
- 8 slices bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water (egg wash)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes (optional)
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 shallot, finely chopped (2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped fresh chives
- In a large mixing bowl stir together 1 1/4 cups of the flour and the yeast. In a small saucepan stir together the milk, butter, 1 tablespoon of the oil, water, sugar, and salt. Heat and stir over medium heat until warm and butter almost melts (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F). Add to flour mixture. Beat with a mixer on low until combined. Beat on medium for 3 minutes. Stir in enough of the remaining flour as you can with a wooden spoon. Transfer dough to a floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes). Transfer dough to a large greased bowl. Turn dough to grease surface. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours or until double in size.
- Punch dough down. Transfer to the floured surface. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine mozzarella, feta, goat cheese, and bacon; cover and chill until needed. Grease a large baking sheet; set aside. Pat and stretch each piece of dough to a 7×5-inch oval about 1/4-inch thick. Place on prepared baking sheet. Divide cheese mixture among the 4 dough pieces, leaving about a 1/2-inch border. Roll the long sides of the ovals towards the cheese creating a border. Pinch and twist the ends.
- Cover loosely and let stand 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Brush edges of bread with egg wash. Gently make a well in the center of the cheese mound on each bread oval. One at a time, crack an egg into a custard cup then carefully slip into each indent. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until bread is golden brown and yolks are thickened. Remove to a wire rack. Top each with a piece of butter, if desired.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine tomatoes, shallot, 1 tablespoon oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Top bread boats with tomato salad and chives. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
USE FROZEN BREAD DOUGH:
Thaw and rise 1 1-pound loaf of frozen white bread dough according to package directions. Continue as directed in step 2.
727 kcal ,
40 g fat
(19 g sat. fat ,
4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
15 g monounsaturated fat ),
215 mg chol. ,
1266 mg sodium ,
58 g carb. ,
3 g fiber ,
8 g sugar ,
32 g pro.
Enjoy your Easter weekend!
All my best,
Picket Fence Properties, located in Windsor, CO is Northern Colorado’s Top Notch Property Management company helping owners with their rentals, income/investment properties and vacancies in Northern Colorado. Are you a owner of a home for rent or that you’d like us to manage? We help you have the perfect tenants in NoCO. Are you looking for somewhere to rent in Greeley, Loveland, Fort Collins, Wellington, Eaton, Evans, Windsor, Frederick, Firestone? Look no further, we have all your real estate and rental needs covered. Check out website for vacancies today.