If you have to evict, here are a few steps you should follow to ensure you have a successful eviction:
- Ensure you know the reason for eviction. Make sure this is really clear. Usually there are 2 main reasons for an eviction. The tenant did not abide to the terms of the lease (breaking rules, not paying rent, illegal activity, property damage, etc.) or because the owner wants to do major repairs, convert it into a residential premise for sell the property.
- Be calm. This always sounds easier than it is done. Communicate with the tenant why they can no longer live there. Document your conversations and if the communication becomes unreasonable, know your legal steps to take next.
- Never get physical. We realize people can be frustrating but never take matters into your own hands – ever. Don’t enter their property, remove their items, change the locks or stop paying utilities. Be the bigger person in the matter and let the law and judges rule in your favor.
- It is important to give notice. People have to have somewhere to go. Make sure you are clearly communicating the terms of the eviction and than is is typed, dated and signed. Make sure you have all your I’s dotted and your t’s crossed. Being reasonable and understanding of the pain it is to move will serve you well.
- Make sure you settle up. Ensure you have a clear move out date, final payment arrangements, mailbox keys, forwarding address info. You can do all this in a formal letter so they have at least 30-60 days to make other arrangements.
- Go to court only if necessary. If the tenant does not move out when expected, then and only then, should you go to your local courthouse and file eviction papers. There is usually a small fee. You must show you have done items 1-5 above. You must have give them ample time for them to move out.
Evictions are never fun for any of the parties involved. This is where working with a property management company takes some of the pressure off both the owner and the tenants.
All my best,
Picket Fence Properties, located in Windsor, CO is Northern Colorado’s Top Notch Property Management company helping owners with their rentals, income/investment properties and vacancies in Northern Colorado. Are you a owner of a home for rent or that you’d like us to manage? We help you have the perfect tenants in NoCO. Are you looking for somewhere to rent in Greeley, Loveland, Fort Collins, Wellington, Eaton, Evans, Windsor, Frederick, Firestone? Look no further, we have all your real estate and rental needs covered. Check out website for vacancies today.